Sunday, February 26, 2012

On Lego Dungeons

Two dungeons down, and I wasn't happy with either one.

So I decided to go bigger and use the 10x10 lego base as my "standard" room size.  Using a 4x4 flat as a grid square I was able to make 8x8 maps (so a scale 40x40 feet) which is a workable size for a dungeon crawl battle.  Unfortunately I didn't have the right plates to create an actual floor grid, so the floor is all black, which made spacing a little problematic, but we worked with it, and overall it was pretty cool.

Each room is modular in this dungeon, and they're held together with pins.  I didn't use any hallways on this build, and there weren't a whole lot of options for the party (They could go right or left at the very beginning, and then there were two rooms off the "southern" wing, but overall it was a pretty linear little dungeon.

Since I had the whole thing laid out from the very beginning, I used cardboard to hide the actual rooms until the party got there.  In the future I'm going to do it differently.

I'm building a number of "generic" dungeon rooms and hallways with a grey and black flooring grid, which should make moving, flanking and touch attacks a little clearer.  I'm building the grid on the 10x10 inch plates, on top of 4x4 bricks (yellow, because they were cheap, yay cheap) because that feels more solid, and gives me room for pin hole bricks underneath the floor.

A 10x10 Base with 4x4 brick foundation and 4x4 blue grey plates.  The missing plates will be black.

An unfinished room with a river and waterfall.  The river will have semi-transparent blue and white dot pieces eventually.

A hallway with finished grid, visible pins and architectural flavor.
I'm new to this whole Lego thing (well, aside from playing with them as a kid of course), so if any lego master builders out there have any suggestions, feel free to leave them in the comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment